Thursday, April 24, 2008

Broken Arms and Little Drummer Girls

I've gotten a couple of emails in the past 24 hours from folks who were more interested in my daughter's broken arm than my con schedule (and who can blame them).

So here are the details: Katrina broke her left elbow at school yesterday. Got knocked down in gym class and fell right on the point of the elbow. She said she heard it crack when she hit the ground. Feel free to wince; every one else has when they hear that.

Coincidentally, she broke the same arm in the same place almost exactly 8 years ago. She'll be in a cast for 6 weeks. It comes off on June 4th, two days after her middle school spring band concert (she's a drummer). She was quite distressed about that because she really enjoys playing the music. "Why couldn't it be two days before the concert," she's asked more than once. I told her not to dwell on it too much, because even if it came off two days before the concert, she still wouldn't be able to play (between not being able to practice and the arm being weak). The really fun part will end of grade tests, because she's a lefty and won't be able to mark those little fill-in dots with her number two pencil.

Not one to let the kid have all the attention, today I went to the dentist and got a root canal...

So, how was your day?

3 comments:

Mary Robinette Kowal said...

Shh... don't tell your daughter, but when I was in sixth grade I broke my arm in a drama camp. I was supposed to play violin in the show.

My doctor took my cast off a week early and gave me a removable rigid brace for my last week on the condition that I be very, very careful and wear the removable brace religiously. I could only take it off to practice.

Sorry about the root canal.

Edmund R. Schubert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Edmund R. Schubert said...

What? No magic cures for dental discomfort? ;-)

Seriously, the band director is already looking at parts she can play one-handed.