Sunday, August 20, 2006

Hi Honey, I'm Home...

I told you I was going away on vacation; vacation means no computers. I went on a friend's computer once to check some baseball scores, but that was it. No blog, no web-site, no e-mails. The only "work" I did was a bit of reading - which I always do while we drive around - so that doesn't really count. (It's read, or talk to my wife and kids - you do the math.)

I read 26 stories while we were on the road, clearing out everything that has been passed on to me by the assistant editor, Sara Ellis. Last I heard she had read everything submitted through early May, so once I send out this last batch of rejection (or not) e-mails to these 26 authors, I will have done at least one reading of everything submitted through the web-site and passed on by the assistant editor. There's still a smaller pile submitted directly to OSC by people who have been invited to do so (mainly Boot Camp grads and a handful of other, established authors), but that is a smaller pile and shouldn't take more than another week or two at the most.

Issue three has been filled already (I'm pretty sure I mentioned that recently) and I've bought the first few for issue four, too. Right now I'm thinking that I will buy no more than enough stories to fill through issue five and then after that cut everything else loose. That will book IGMS through next spring's issue and frankly I don't want to hold anyone's story for any longer than that. I don't think it's fair to authors to make them wait a year or more to see their work published, so for better or for worse, that's the plan.

3 comments:

Rick Novy said...

I'm glad to hear you are catching up. I'm sure the more weight that monkey loses, the better you feel.

Anonymous said...

Well, I figured I ought to wait until my first story is up there in lights before subbing anything further. Looks like I might need to wait a little longer than that...

Still, gives me time to work on the novel.

Edmund R. Schubert said...

We're getting closer all the time to being completely caught up and that will be a glorious day indeed. But with a year's worth of backlog...

For what it's worth I've already told Sara that as soon as I get caught up with my pile, I'll dive in and help her with hers, too.